Iranian Pain Society
Public Information Available: Free information brochures, referral services, hotline.
Chapter Mailing Address:
Mohammed Sharify, MD, President
Iranian Pain Society
PO Box 14875-185
Board of Directors:
President: Mohammad Sharify, MD
Secretary & Deputy Chairman: J. Zaringhalam, MD, Ph.D
Treasurer: M. Hashemi, MD
A. Saadat Niaki, MD
A. Haghparast, Ph.D
M. Kouchek, MD
F. Mohamad Taheri, MD
M. Nikooseresht, MD
Committee of Palliative Care:
D. Aghamohamadi, MD
Global Year Against Neuropathic Pain
- Download (2Mb) the poster produced by the Iran Pain Society for the Global Year.
12th Scientific Congress of the Iranian Pain Society
At the 12th Scientific Congress of the Iranian Pain Society, held May 13-15 in Tehran, nearly 60 speakers presented clinical and psychological lectures about all aspects of pain therapy. The meeting was organized under the leadership of the Scientific Secretariat of the Neuroscience Research Institute of Tehran University of Medical Sciences in the Imam Khomeini Hospital Complex Center.
The Congress included a medico-technical industry exhibition as well as workshops and poster presentations. A cooperative agreement between the Iranian and German Pain Societies established allowed for participation of clinical and scientific fellows, including several from Germany and the United States.
Among the speakers:
- Prof. Mohsen Mohadjer, Prof., Dr.med., head of the pain clinic at the RKK Hospital in Freiburg, Germany, who still leads the Shefa Interdisciplinary Pain Center in Tehran, which he founded. He regularly visits this pain center to see pain patients and educate young Iranian doctors in special pain therapy.
- Prof. Walter Magerl, Dr.med., PhD, chair of neurophysiology at the Center for Biomedicine and Medical Technology of the University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, gave three presentations on different aspects of the neurophysiology of pain.
- Dr. Barbara Kleinmann, Dr.med., an anestesiologist and specialist in pain therapy at the University Clinic in Freiburg, presented two lectures on pallative care.
- Prof. Toni Graf-Baumann, Prof., Dr.med., president of the German Interdisciplinary Association for Pain Therapy and long-term managing director of the German Pain Society, expressed greetings from both institutions and presented a lecture on multi-modal interdisciplinary pain managment.
All presentations, workshops, and posters showed an impressive development of pain care in Iran, though such care is restricted mostly to hospitals in major cities. Long distances between cities and rural areas in Iran, as well as infrastructural difficulties, prevent a comprehensive approach to multi-modal interdisciplinary pain therapy.
Many attendees did a bit of sight seeing in Tehran and Kahzan after the Congress sessions, and the visiting participants made new friends with Iranian colleagues and pledged further cooperation.
Organizers and speakers at the 12th Scientific Congress of the Iranian Pain Society, held May 13-15 in Tehran: